First timer on this forum trying to sort out the pedigree of a potential NRA Sporter. I've browsed many of the member contributions over the years on the various configurations and details of NRA Sporters and am still in the dark on some of them. I currently have a 1903, serial # 1407286 with matching electro-penciled bright bolt, rounded receiver, heavy barrel dated 5-38, no star gauge on muzzle (I understand 1938 barrels may not have one) but there is a code under the barrel marked SA P and A 785 which may indicate star gauging. The correct Lyman 48 peep sight and front blade sight are present and what appears to be the correct stock and barrel band. The receiver has been drilled and tapped for a scope, the bolt altered slightly for clearance and a low-scope safety and cocking piece installed. It has an adjustable trigger as well. The rifle is in excellent condition with most bluing intact and just a slight amount of freckling on the front of the trigger guard and floorplate. At some point in time, the original buttplate was removed and replaced with a reddish shotgun-type pad but the stock does not appear to have been altered in any way. I'd sure appreciate any comments on confirming this as an NRA sporter, one way or another. Thanks.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.