Hello all! i want to get some opinions on an M1icon i picked up from an estate sale. It is an IHC from 1953 with everything original as far as i can tell. The LMN barrel is dated 5-53, the op rod, hammer, safety, trigger group housing, gas cylinder plug, bolt, and rear site are all marked IHC. The finish on all the metal is even with little or no wear. The stock, however, has seen better days. it is rough and dark, but seems to be original to the rifle with a 3032 julian date. The front and upper handguards are a nice deep red and quite clean. The butt plate is beat to crap. I am thinking this may have been a stockade or guard house rifle. the wear on the butt stock doesnt remotely match the metal finish. The barrel and bolt face seem to be nearly unfired. This rifle sat for a very long time somewhere. The action was frozen when i bought it from the grease turning to lacquer and i had to soak the bolt in Kroil to free up the firing pin. There is no corrosion anywhere on this rifle except the butt plate. I am not new to MILSURP firearms, but fairly new to Garands. I was amazed at the condition of this rifle. it appears as new inside. opinions?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.