Have been going through a sack of old 8mm Mauser ammo that I bought back in the 80's. Back then I tried shooting some of it in my DOT 1944 98K, with poor results. The majority would not shoot, likely due to hard primers and original firing pin spring in my Mauser, so I gave up and squirreled them away.

I was able to identify the first case as Greek, using Albert Watson's Defense Intelligence Agency 1981 Small Caliber Ammunition Identification Guide, Change List 3 with 1991 cover letter. (Pretty neat reference, all 232 pages...) Page 178, head stamp A107 shows the Greek cartridge. But the other two head stamps, no can find...

The second head stamp is 4.37, which looks like a date (April 1937) but the rounds do not look that old. There are three types of CH head stamps - just the CH and 7,92 in the same plane as the CH, the CH with dots at 3 and 9 o'clock and the 7,92 upside down, and the CH with Hebrew 6-pt stars at 3 and 9, the 7,92 upside down. Any advice would be appreciated.

Additional info: the Greek and CH cartridges have approx 185gr boat tail bullets, heavily crimped. The 4.37 cartridges have approx. 150gr flat base bullets. All of the cartridges contained square flake powder, as in photo. All cartridges are Berdan primed.Attachment 52970Attachment 52971Attachment 52972Attachment 52973
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.