I cleaned the buttstock of a DP stamped 1891 LSA MLM Mk.I*. The wood looked to be walnut but the colour was dark, almost black. Suggested to me the use of Rangoon oil. Anyhoo, I got the crud off with the use of antique furnature paint and varnish stripper. Crikey! When the can says wear gloves, you better believe it!

When the burning sensation stopped and I was able to hold things in my hands again, I saw that the cartouches had came right back up. There is a LSA roundel plus a second one that says 'FORT WILLIAM ARSENAL'. There is also '98' stamped above it with similar colour and impression in the wood, look like they were appied at the same time. 98 has cancellation mark though it.

There is a steel regimental marking disc which denotes a Drill Purpose rifle. Upon its face, the date of 7 1892 has lso been cancelled.

Got on Google and found info on a Fort William in Calcutta. There was also a Fort William here in Ontario circa 1812, but no arsenal.

No other govt acceptance marks on the rifle other than Brit WD.

Has anybody come accross this marking before?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.