My #1 bolt had works just fine. I don't know anything about head spacing or the like, but in the short time I've owned it the rifle shoots fine with no problems. The bolt moves smoothly through the action.
This issue is the bolt head looks terribly beat up and it's got a bunch of scratches and dings almost as if it's been dropped on the concrete time after time. It almost has an etched look to it to in some places.
I bought a replacement #1 bolt head simply for looks, but the new bolt head doesn't fit the bolt body. I am now assuming that not only are there different sized bolt heads (0,1,2 etc) but also different sizes amongst the individual bolt head sizes.
The new #1 bolt head is identical to the old one, but the threads must not be aligned the same.
The original bolt head will screw on and will stop about 5 degrees past lining up with the rib on the bolt body. I have heard that this is reasonably within spec.
The new bolt head will screw on but will stop and tighten about 10 degrees before the rib on the bolt body.
As you can imagine the bolt will not fit in the receiver this way if the bolt body and head cannot line up.
It looks as though I would have to remove material from either the bolt body or the back of the bolt head for this to work. Neither of which I want to do.
Were there individual 'sub' sizes of the bolt heads?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.