Question for you guys...I found a 1905 Ross in a local shop that I am considering buying - it hasn't had the barrel or stock cut down, and the stock is marked up with unit numbers. However, the barrel appears to have been cut back by about an inch at the chamber. The stock is clearly cut to have the barrel profile farther forward than it currently is, and there is a visible hole drilled into the top (but not clear through) of barrel in between the receiver and rear sight (the handguard does not cover that area). The rear sight also has two little prods pointing rearward, which would seem to be intended to secure a part of the handguard.

I didn't have a camera with me to take a photo, but I found an example of one similar:

This photo show a stock that fits the barrel contour - the rifle I found has the barrel profile and placement the same (and the same rear end of the rear sight and the sale hole atop the barrel) but the stock is clearly intended to have the barrel an inch longer before its diameter reduces (and the rifle I found does not have the LC marking).

I hope this makes some sense - can anyone explain what has been done to this rifle, who did it, and whether it would be safe to shoot?

Thanks!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.