Hello all.

I recently acquired a rifle, as listed in the title. It's an interesting piece. I think I've decoded a lot of what it is and where it came from, but there are some things I'm still not clear about and I'm looking to see if anyone here knows something.

Anyway, here's what I have been able to figure out:

The receiver, bolt, nose cap, and I *think* the stock (only the last two digits of the serial number are visible) have matching serial numbers. The receiver and bolt also have "assembly numbers" (at least based on their placement, I assume that's what they are) which match as well. What I read was that assembly numbers were given to rifles that didn't have a normal serial number, but I've been unable to find what that means. The serial number is C 18574. The assembly number is U 1705.

The barrel has a couple of markings I can't account for. One is a '44' on the left side of the area just ahead of the receiver. There also a pair of really thick lines next to the 44, looking kind of like: ll. There's also an MA over VI that I'm not sure what to make of either. There's a broad arrow on it, and the same later type Lithgowicon proof mark as on the receiver. There an asterisk over the chamber, which I assume is the marking for "Light Rust in Barrel" that I've read about.

The receiver is dated 1941, but the stock is dated 1942. The stock is marked MA Lithgow S.M.L.E. III *, and it doesn't look like the typical coachwood that I've seen on others. I don't know what type of wood it is, but looking at the dents, dings, gouges, and scrapes, I can easily believe it's been on the rifle since 1942. Under the dirt/grease, the wood seems to be a very light tan with the grain being a reddish-brown. There is also an "HV" marking. The brass buttplate looks as if it has seen lots of hard contact with the ground.

Both the stock and the barrel have 12/54 stamped on them, but there's no "FTR" stamping on it. From my reading, I would have figured it should have one. The only other part that I question is the bolt head. It is stamped '53' on the underside. My guess would be that it was probably replaced at the same time as the barrel. I'd also guess from the color of the finish that the rear sight leaf spring and the front sight blade were replaced at the same time as well. I assume the barrel is a replacement because of the lack of a serial number.

I plan on getting some pictures of it in the sunlight tomorrow when I take it to the range. I'll see if I can post them here tomorrow night.

In the mean-time, if anyone here as some input on what an "assembly number" is for, the meanings of the marks on the barrel, whether the barrel is a replacement, tips on identifying the type of wood used for the stock, etc. I'd be very grateful.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.