Threaded View

Last On
    @
    Local Date
    06-05-2024
    Local Time
    10:26 PM

Triple Lock? .455 Webley, s/n 12473

So, the Regiment just got back from a European WW1 and WW2 battlefield tour (along with having lunch with the Colonel In Chief, Queen Elizabeth II). I ended up socializing and talking with members I don't usually do that with, and out of all of that came an invitation from one of our retiring sergeant majors to have a look at his grandfather's old revolver and possibly buy it.

So I went over to his place today to have a quick look. Ended up staying for three hours just looking at stuff... he is a military packrat, just as I am. We both date back to the FN FAL, but that is another story.

So this is what I ended up with (sorry for the pic quality, but all I had was my Rugby Smart for a camera):

I will try and get better pictures once my camera's macro lens returns from being sent for repair.

Along with the revolver and holster were WW1 medals, FMPs, and something I really love... maps!.

Here's just a few pics from maps of Amiens... some of you may of heard of it...

Battle of Amiens - The Canadian Encyclopedia

And, the best pictures I could get of parts of the maps:

Anyways, that's picture heavy enough for now. But I found his personal maps, field message pads, medals, shaving kit, etc almost as interesting as the old warhorse of a pistol.

So, anybody care to tell me what I appear to have purchased?

The fact his grandfather was an officer during WW1, the maps, the notebooks, the medals, etc suggest he carried this in WW1 and kept it after war's end. I did get some examples of stamping that came out clear enough, but I do not see any of the Canadian/Brit stamps that are on a .455 Webley that has been in the family since WWI, a Ross, a Long Branch, etc.

Also, any idea on value for insurance - minus maps, medals and personal effects? The maps need to go to a museum, but no museum will be getting their hands on the revolver until I'm on the other side of the sod. I'll be out shooting it alongside the Webley.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 4 Members Say Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post: