I bought the Kragicon I posted about earlier

Had the serial number wrong. It's actually 233825. 1899 I believe

Barrel is excellent inside and out. Better than son in law indicated. Bright and sharp. Maybe a small speck of something several inches from crown, but a non-issue. There is a "2" on the bottom of barrel and some other mark I can't distiguish. Pic attached. Do these indicate anything specific?

Stock is excellent. A few medium dings and some small ones, but sharp cartouches, no cracks, original finish, etc. Dated 1902, so a replacement. Only issue is a small chunk missing between bolt handle and mag door. The mildew or smudges on stock rubbed out easily.

Other than the barrel, most other metal has little remaining bluing, but not too much corrosion or pitting. Some on mag door.

My sense of rifle is that it was well used and came back for rework and had both barrel and stock replaced. Stock is obvious, but barrel condition is so good, it just doesn't match the patina of the other metal. I'm happy though, because I shoot my stuff. It looks like gun was well cared for after rework. Action is amazingly smooth like I guess is the norm on Krags.

I am very happy with my first Krag and feel fortunate that I was able to get it for $500.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.