Back on Joustericon, I posted a thread about the sporterized 1903 that I got from my dad - the one that he cracked over the deer's head when he realized that the magazine only holds five rounds.

We collectively decided that it wasn't worth it to restore the rifle because the receiver had been drilled and tapped for a scope (and the busted and repaired stock makes for a good story).

I thought that I'd share a few pictures, with apologies to Rick the Librarianicon for ignoring pretty much everything that he said about taking pictures of guns

It's a sporterized M1903 Mk I, made in 1920. The cat is Ralph.

If you've made it this far, I've got a question. Look at the shiny bolt. Why is it shiny? Is it an aftermarket piece? Or was the parkerizing removed to modify the handle to clear the scope?

It's always fun to show up at the range with this rifle. There are always a few guys with their fancy-schmancy hunting pieces or the special forces wannabes. The former have learned that a 90 year old government-made rifle is pretty doggone accurate at 300 yards and the latter just about jump out of their shoes when they hear the report of a .30-06 round. Good times.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.