Last On
    Today @ 10:26 AM
    Real Name
    CINDERS
    Local Date
    05-27-2024
    Local Time
    11:03 PM
    Your correct Peter the Tri color event happened, good old Bader JerryEAL yes he gave them hell in Colditz funny thing not long after Bader got back to flying I think he was in a Spitfire and climbing to high altitude when all of a sudden he started hearing popping noises fearful there was something terminal with the plane he decended and the popping stopped. It came to pass that it was the ping pong balls he had inside his tin legs that were exploding due to the differential in the outside air pressure and once he got down to a lower level the popping stopped. He had the ping pong balls in his legs as a flotation device as he feared being shot down into the channel his hollow legs filling with water and dragging him down.

When Bader was lost it was not to enemy fire but a collision he (Bader) as he had no legs had unwittingly turned so sharply to get the BF-109 he was after actually turned inside either the 109's wingman or another spitfire due to the fact Bader had no legs he could turn allot tighter as no blood pooled in his legs therefore he did not black out as easily.
    Also for those that may ask a test carried out on a spitfire aircraft found it could withstand a 10G loading and still fly around happily though I doubt the average pilot of the day with out G suits would remain conscious performing a turn like that most did not and more often than not woke up flying level away from the scrap or were shot down whilst flying straight and level in an enemy filled sky...
    Last edited by CINDERS; 06-09-2016 at 07:20 AM.

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to CINDERS For This Useful Post: