Yesterday I finally received my first Ross. A beautiful M-10. I unpacked it and found the bolt was out of the rifle. Not unusual. I have never had one of these in my hands before, so as a gunsmith of about 50 years experience I inserted the bolt which went in about two inches easily but would go no more! Nor would it come out!! It would move a bit but not come out. Hair pulling time. I could not find any place where there was instructions or drawings on how to do something as simple as re-install a bolt. There needs to be a BIG red note on this operation. It was quite late by this time so I decided to wait till today. Up early, out in the shop, I reasoned that by taking the bbl. action out of the stock I could see what was holding the bolt in. Great, took out the bbl. band screw, figured out how to get the floor plate off, main action screw, action won't come out!! I reasoned that there must be a screw in the the top rear of the action. Only problem, there was a stuck bolt in the way! After much prayer my wife and I looked in the bolt area with a bright light to see if I could see anything holding the bolt. I knew it was caught on something in the bottom of the bolt head so I went in with a very small long handle flat blade screw driver and applied pressure to the steel under the bolt head. Praise the Lord, the bolt came out. No marks, scratches etc. on the gun or me! I had already figured out that if I could just get the bolt out I needed to pull the head out and rotate it to the correct horizontal position. This I did. However, it wouldn't stay in that position. I tried several times and finally it stayed in the correct position. I very gingerly slid it into the action and now it works just great. I will insert photos of this so you can see what happened.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.