Threaded View

Last On
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Local Date
    06-05-2024
    Local Time
    11:11 PM

Potential Scam

The other day while using my computer and minding my own business I received a phone call from someone with a strong "foreign accent" saying that my Windows software was currently downloading a large amount of viruses and then he started asking me questions about my keyboard. The chap was talking very fast and I was having a job to understand him as well as hear him. I thought that it was a bit odd that he referred to my "Windows software" when I own an Apple Mac but I said nothing and continued to play catch-up to try to understand what the hell he was talking about.

Anyone who knows me will know that I have only very limited I.T. skills and knowledge and make no secret of this. Eventually this chap paused for breath and said "have you got an Apple Mac?" to which I replied yes. He didn't say anything else but just slammed the phone down on me - how rude.

I know that he was trying to do some sort of scam which it would appear doesn't work with Apple Macs but I am not able to give any further explanation for this phone call. I wondered if there is a member with greater I.T. skills than myself that could explain exactly what this chap was up to, please? Thanks

Apologies, if this should have gone in the Watering hole forum, please feel free to move it there if appropriate, Moderators, thanks.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Flying10uk; 02-22-2017 at 02:06 PM.

2. Thank You to Flying10uk For This Useful Post: