Here's a question for the gun plumbers. Picked up a pretty nice looking No.2 Mk1* that appears to have been on a shelf since its last FTR in 1954. Alas, loading it up, there is insufficient clearance; the cylinder virtually locks up trying to fire. In researching around the forum I came across this tidbit.

Rear 0.07" must pass across striker hole
Front, with cylinder held forwards. Must be between .002" and .018" on each chamber

FPP, ,040" and .050"

This particular revolver at the rear will pass a snug .049 across the firing pin hole. The gap with the cylinder forward is between .018 and .022. After removing the cylinder, there is a shim on the cylinder spindle that were it about .010 thinner would close up the cylinder gap and increase the headspace to where the cartridges won't drag.

The shim, or whatever it is properly called, does not appear in any parts diagram I have found. What I would like to know is did the REME have an assortment of these shims to pick from to get the clearances correct? If so, where to find such an assortment now.

I suppose that I could just lap the shim presently installed until enough clearance was achieved to allow the loaded cylinder to turn acceptably, but will cylinder moving forward affect the timing enough to worry about? As long as the cylinder stop is firmly engaged at the time of firing seems to me should be safe enough.

Looking for advice on the best way to proceed. I have loaded a bunch of 200 grain lead bullets to duplicate .380/200 Revolver Mk I and I want to shoot it.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.