I was looking around the ATF site and didnt find that, but yes it is surprisingly detailed. Lot of interesting reading/debate on the subject around the internet also. Never really looked into it until now.

So the Stens I was looking at were nowhere near cut like those illustrations. I wonder if they were ever 'legal' demils. They were each in an old importer's box..

The Bren kit I used looks 'legal' with three diagonal torch cuts and there were some gaps, although not as enthusiastically melted like the latest parts kits.

I agree it would hurt to take a torch to that MK1 but I wouldnt want it in my house if its considered a MG. Most likely a semi auto builder wont even touch it as-is.

Quote Originally Posted by rcathey View Post
The ATF has some, shockingly, pretty well detailed information on this:
Machinegun Destruction | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

The funny thing about this stuff is if the machine gun doesn’t meet these regulations it IS a machine gun. And in this case, probably an unregistered one.

It would hurt me emotionally but if I had that thing in my possession, I’d be firing up the oxy-acetylene torch as fast as I could. My gun rights are too important to be tip-toeing any legal fine lines.