Just wanting to clarify the effectiveness of a repair I need to do on a few of my MKIII's:

Its a normal split that runs from the main screw hole in the stock, usually with a busted out piece of wood closest to the mag, and extends towards the rear sight protector ear fixture hole. I have a picture here of a more extreme version of the cracks on my rifles just to give an idea (Credit to whoever took the picture). Mine are nowhere near this bad.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/para...3/DSCN0034.jpg

I remember someone mentioning a repair for this (Might have been Mr Laidlericon himself) whereby you drill a hole at the very front/end of the crack (vertically), use a big beefy bit of dowel, glue it all up, and then when its done make a plug for the bottom of the dowel so it doesn't stand out so bad against the fore-end. I'm only curious as to the effectiveness of this repair accompanied with repairing the rear of the fore-end that is always split as well. If its a repair that can stand up in military practice then should be ok for me, or if someone has a better idea let me know.

Cheers.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.