Threaded View

Last On
    05-20-2024 @ 10:21 PM
    Local Date
    05-24-2024
    Local Time
    09:47 PM

A mint unfired 42 Maltby, Trying to value it

Unfired except for proofing. Just trying to just set a sale price for it. I can't find another one like it for price comparison.
    I've had this rifle for many years but as I've hit my 80th birthday, it's time to move it on as I am selling off most of my collection. Problem is, it may be the only one, or at least one of a very few like it, that are still around in the condition it's in, being still mint and un fired, except for proofing, and it still has it's originally made disposable parts. Because of this I'm not sure what price to put on it and I'm just asking for a "general" ball park value from knowledgeable folks here so I can advertise it for sale. I know what used Maltby's generally sell for, but this one is like a museum piece and I can't find another one in the same condition for price comparison. Here are the photos and description, I would appreciate any value suggestions.
    I know it's not worth big bucks but it is unique and should be worth more then just an average Enfield. Thanks. Ray

This is my inventory listing have I have of it.

1942 dated unfired except for proofing, Maltby #16968 rifle with traces of cosmolineicon in it . The rifle has no US import stamps and no British added export stamps, (tons, Englandicon, etc). Besides it's mint condition, it is probably one of a very few, and even could be the only one still in existence that remains in the condition it is as it just it came off the assembly line in 1942 with the exception of the stock letters. In addition to it's rare condition, it was one that was made with the very early war expedient parts having the solid bolt handle, no grove striker knob, no half cock striker, altered safety, noticable by the open area behind the safety lever. As production caught up, these parts were removed and/or replaced. The stock has large FNR letters stamped on it. Unknown what those FNR letters stamps represent. The stock has large FNR letters stamped on it. Unknown what those FNR letters stamps represent. One suggestion it stands for Felixstowe Naval Reserve. Felixstowe is a port town on the East coast of England in the county of Suffolk. Or an arsenal inventory file. These are just guesses though. This is a fairly rare and colletable Enfield Rifleicon as it just may be the only one like it around still in mint/unfired except for proofing condition and with the expedient parts.
    Attachment 101239Attachment 101240Attachment 101241Attachment 101242Attachment 101243Attachment 101244Attachment 101245
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Badger; 10-16-2019 at 06:13 AM.

2. Thank You to rayg For This Useful Post: