Yesterday evening my son came home with a really decent looking Remington M1903 rifle! Nothing to be ashamed of at all......I was rather jealous

My son's new rifle has a 4-42 dated barrel which seems appropriate with the receiver serial #....all the little and big parts with markings are 'R' marked and at least to me seems like an original assembly excepting the stock which is a C stock. Not sure about the butt-plate either.

I read up on the 'red star' Remington M1903 rifles and Remington M1903 rifles in general to get an idea of what they are and should look like...what stock/handguard it should wear etc.

Son's butt-plate is a milled checkered trapdoor equipped plate that we couldn't see any markings on. Is that style butt-plate appropriate for a Remington M1903?

The C-stock on this rifle has like zero/no markings....is an A3 cut stock....looks like it'c been on the rifle for a long time......there might be vague remnants of a circle P on the pistol-grip curve(not certain of that)….nothing on the tip...nothing in the cut-off notch....nothing visible as far as ordinance wheel or inspection stamps. I had thoughts that the C-stock might be a newer repro stock....but changed my mind to think that it's probably the real deal and some previous owner put the pistol grip stock on it. The stock and handguard do appear sanded/refinished.

How do you tell a real US issue C type stock from a reproduction?

Thanx from HT & son
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.