Hi, I am a new member and have some questions about dating the place and date of manufacture of a No. 4 Mk 2 303.
There are no markings on the barrel or action that indicate when or where made. On the LH side of the receiver are markings that were made with an electric vibrating engraving tool. Top line reads: No 4MK 2 (F). Second line is: 2/50 PF 177932. The "PF" is 'enclosed' in an open-ended box (open end towards the rest of what seems to be the serial number). This number is also engraved on the bottom of the magazine, which has an 'F' over a '47' on the cartridge follower.
Rifle is in excellent condition and seems to never have been fired. Virtually no 'dings' on the wood and bolt face is unmarked.
On butt stock behind trigger guard is "F50". Under that is a crown that is slightly defaced with a "I8" (as well as I could determine and under the crown a broad arrow and a "42".
The front stock also has (in the front) the serial number "PF 177932" stamped on the underside with a broad arrow over a '50' below it. To the rear of the barrel band on the underside of the stock is a crown above a broad arrow and a '28'.
I would welcome any advice I can get about the rifle. I have a Mk 111 made by BSA and a No 4 Mk 1 made by Long Branch, but the markings on the Mk 2 just confuse me.
Thanks, Garth
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.