Threaded View

Last On
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Local Date
    06-17-2024
    Local Time
    09:47 PM

Chickens and Rats

I mentioned in another thread that my family use to keep a few chickens during WW2 and this poultry was kept on ground that my family owned adjacent to where they lived. The chickens were retained throughout WW2 and into the late 1940's before being disposed of at sometime between the late 1940's and early 1950's. The one problem that my family found, with keeping chickens, was that they tended to attract rats and, unsurprisingly, this was to the area of ground where the chickens were kept. Every effort was made to control the rat population, but despite every effort, the problem was never fully overcome while my family owned chickens.

After my family disposed of the chickens the problem of the rats continued and despite every effort the problem of the rats was never overcome while my family lived at the property.

Wind forward 60+ years and I happened to visit the area and by chance got chatting to the owner of the modern property that now sits next to the area of ground where years ago my family once kept chickens. The chap went on to tell me, in the course of conversation, that he was having problems with rats from over the fence and despite every effort couldn't get rid of them. I explained to him that my family once kept chickens there and we couldn't get rid of the rats either.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. Thank You to Flying10uk For This Useful Post: