Threaded View

Last On
    08-20-2022 @ 06:39 PM
    Local Date
    06-14-2024
    Local Time
    12:35 AM

Savage No. 4 Mk 1*

After recent discussion about No. 4's I had a look at mine and thought it would be worthwhile having a look at. I got it about a year ago after talking with one of our rifle club members. He knew I was interested in 303's and asked me if I wanted a No. 4. Of course I did not hesitate and picked it up a few days later. It looked a bit dirty but did not take very long to clean up and is in very good condition. It was a pleasant surprise to find the paperwork in the butt and as it turns out I know the original owner, and all the 3 owners since. Dookie Agricultural College is still going and still has a rifle range. The original rear sight was missing but this was understandable as it was sold as a full bore target rifle with a Parker Hale PH5C. The PH5C was also missing but I contacted the second last owner who still had it and he delivered it a few months later. In the meantime I had purchased a Singer sight so I could shoot it in events at our Military Club, and it shoots very well with (I presume) its original 2 groove barrel. The other Savage marked Singer sight in the photos came on a No. 4 sporter which I had since purchased and won't be using that sight so it will go on this rifle. I have other plans for the sporter, more on that in another post!
    The magazine on this rifle is un-numbered which in my limited experience is not unusual for 303's in Australia. The foresight cover came with the rifle, but I have added the reproduction sling and the target sling swivel.
    I would be interested to know the history of No. 4's in Australia to fill in the first 20 years of this rifles life.
    By the way I looked up the value of 15 pounds and 10 shillings in todays Australianicon dollars and it would equal $457!
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to mrbennet For This Useful Post: