04-09-2023 @ 08:59 PM
    Real Name
    Rick Slater
    Local Date
    06-20-2024
    Local Time
    10:15 AM

Two more stills from movie "Bataan"

As the 1943 movie "Bataan" was my favorite movie while growing up, I've collected a number of movie stills over the last few years and I thought I'd post a couple of more which feature M1903s.

1. Here is a still of probably the most famous "remembered" actor from the movie, Desi Arnez. Arnez (who married Lucille Ball in 1940), was know best for small roles in musicals featuring Latin American songs and dancing. He was about 9 years away from his most famous role in "I Love Lucy" with Ball. In "Bataan", he had a serious role as a jitterbugging Mexican-American from Los Angeles, Felix Ramirez. He stated his unit as the 192nd Tank Battalion, which really did serve on Bataan ("Wheel counter's" note - technically, he would have served with the 192nd's sister unit, the 194th, which contained a company from the California National Guard). Note the rifle he is holding. It appears to be a Bannerman or Sedgely rifle with a Kragicon-type rear sight

2. Lloyd Nolan, who played Corporal Barney Todd, the "tough guy" soldier with a hidden past, props up a "dead Japaneseicon" (actually most of the extras in the film were Filipinos from the LA-area) to draw enemy fire. Note the Krag bayonet on the M1903 that Nolan is using. The rifle also appears to be a Sedgely/Bannerman with a Krag rear sight.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

2. The Following 15 Members Say Thank You to Rick the Librarian For This Useful Post: