About 8 years ago I bought a fully stocked 1903 Springfield at a gun show. The receiver is a SA in the 900,000 serial range and the barrel is a 1918 RI. When I got it home and cleaned it up, I realized that the bore was too corroded to shoot it, so it became a wall hanger and I have been looking for a sporter with a decent barrel to use as a donor ever since. This week I found one at a gun shop just around the corner from my home, and bought it. Upon closer examination, and a little research, the sporter has a Rock Island receiver with serial number 3746 and a 1905 SA barrel, which puts the date of production of this rifle as 1903!

What am I looking at cost wise to install the 05 barrel on the 900,000 SA receiver, as well as the reinstalling the rear sight on the 05 barrel?
Am I better off leaving the sporter receiver and barrel as is, and cannibalizing the 900,000 SA to make a complete rifle?
Is the sporter more valuable as is considering its low serial number range?

My intent has always been to be able to shoot the rifles in my collection, and I have been looking at this '03 Springfield wall hanger for years now. The 900,000 SA receiver is in the safe heat treat range, while the 3746 RI is not. The 3746 RI has been drilled and tapped for a scope, while the 900,000 SA has not.

Looking for some advise, opinions, and thoughts on what my best course of action is to get one functional rifle out of these two.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.