Hello all,

Forgive me as I received an SMLE sporter as my first firearm, and have been trying to Get it back into Mil-spec condition, so if I have not yet accumulated common knowledge and this is a silly question I apologize.

Since the rough fitment of my unissued forestock, I have been going over the rifle fixing issues with the fitment (Initially fitted with no knowledge of the SMLE's peculiar bedding system, had to re do draws, relieve contact between the forend and the butt socket so a piece of paper slides between, and relieve area around the receiver so barrel centers in the forend).

I noticed my Inner band would slide fore/aft and the barrel did not contact the forestock forward of the inner band. In the sporter stock the inner band would not slide. I manufactured a small washer to go in in front of the spring to properly hold the inner band in place, it also made the barrel contact the forend in front of the inner band.

See picture below

Current bedding:
Barrel contacts the forend 3/4 inch behind the inner band, and all the way to the muzzle spring.
Bottom of receiver contects the forend all around magazine well, and on the flat above the draws.
Barrel contacts the top of the nose cap hole
Bottom of Knox Form contacts the forend.
Draws fitted tight

I am just a little concerned it could be too much pressure, I do not know the consequences during firing if the barrel is pulled down with too much force, however the screw for the inner band still bottoms out with the washer installed. I have seen other mentions of washers used with the inner band screw/spring, is this a thing with late production wood?

I appreciate you reading my post, if you can give me some clarification on if everything sounds in order I would greatly appreciate it.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.