Good Afternoon,
I recently purchased my first 'real' Lee-Enfield, even though I am pretty sure that it had been monkeyed with a little bit. (I purchased one a few years ago that had been redone by Golden State - I could not leave that beautiful piece of wood in the LGS!)

This one is a 1943 Long Branch No4 MkI*.
Pretty common from what I have been able to learn so far; but the price was decent, and I did not have a real Lee-Enfield yet.
I am convinced that the wood has been refinished, and the metal scrubbed a bit with something along the lines of Scotch-Brite. Most of the finish is all but gone, but all of the stamps that I can find do not seem to have that "worn" look. Bore is bright and strong with 2 grooves.

In an effort of trying to learn what is "correct" for that rifle, I have read more forum threads on multiple websites than I previously believed would have existed. And I have not scratched the surface of the information that is out there. I have so much to learn, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.

At this point, I figured that I would ask a question in the attempt to make my research a bit more efficient.

Is there a resource already in existence that would help me learn:
1) About the No4 Mk I rifles in general
2) the specifics of what components and finish were 'correct' for my rifle.
With the adage "Better to be though a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt" in mind, I am trying to learn at least the rudimentary facts of this rifle before I start asking any specific questions. At this point, I think I would wear the patience of a monk thin with all of my questions.

Thank you so very much for any guidance you can offer!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.