Today @ 06:16 AM
    Real Name
    Paul Ellis
    Local Date
    06-13-2024
    Local Time
    06:52 PM

No4 Mk1/2

I thought that this rifle might be of some interest because of its markings, and to show what had been done to try and "improve" its shooting accuracy.
    First its markings, or lack of them , it has obviously been converted to its current Mk1/2 configuration but by who? All of the original markings have been very effectively removed and apart from its current configuration and serial number there is no indication of an FTR date or where it was done. It has an F56 marked barrel so that might indicate that it was done at ROF Fazakerley in 1956, but all rifles that I have seen in the past are normally marked as such. The additional serial number that is stamped just behind the front trigger guard screw is a first for me as are the very rough machining marks that have been left on the butt socket to allow the repositioning of the trigger, I can't imagine that this would have passed inspection & quality control.
    The rifle has been "Fultons Regulated", so it might be them that did the conversion along with the extensive alterations that have been carried out to the stock.
    I have tried to show just what has been done, the front trigger guard has been re-enforced with an additional plate, in addition the hole where the front trigger guard screw goes has been removed and replaced with a hard wood insert, the collar has been omitted. All of the woodwork has been extensively relieved, I have included a picture of the modified top wood along side a "standard" set, The front of the fore-end again has been extensively relieved and a metal based bearing surface has been inserted along with a new bearing surface just in front of the front trigger guard screw, witness marks on the barrel show how it was supported, the draws have been replaced with dowels inserted from the side to support them.
    This rife has at some point been in the US as indicated by the ENGLAND mark on the right side of the action, I understand that it has been a club rifle for a good number of years and those more observant members on this side of the pond will have spotted that there are no valid proof marks hence the reason for it being stripped before its visit to the proof house.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. Thank You to Buccaneer For This Useful Post: