Threaded View

Last On
    Today @ 07:00 AM
    Local Date
    06-24-2024
    Local Time
    02:06 PM

WWI British Military Compass

Well, I came into possession of a Cruchon & Emons (London) officer's compass from the great war. On the face of the case it says "Verners Pattern" and there's the Roman number VII. On the back is the WD "crowsfoot" and it says "No.1916". What makes this something of a scarcity hereabouts is the fact that it's complete with it's brown leather case and shoulder or neck strap. The leather was dry so I've applied some mink oil to soften it and to prevent any further cracking, but there's nothing broken or missing. I think I got to the leather just in time. A few more years and it would have started breaking apart, methinks. The case is marked "Martins-Birm (small m underlined)- Lim(small d,underlined) so I assume it's Birmingham Limited, and dated 1916 like the compass. The felt liner is in excellent shape given that this is over 100 yrs. old. I'm more into Canadianicon militaria but this is a truly nice piece. There's only one flaw I've been able to find and that is the locking screw on the side of the compass took a hit at some point so the threaded screw is a little bent. Not that it affects function in any way, but there you have it. Any idea of what this rig would be worth?
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Badger; 04-26-2021 at 07:52 AM.