Thread: Lee Speed/Metford Top (Dust) Cover source?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    05-06-2024 @ 02:40 AM
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    09:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1903Collector View Post
    jc5icon, Outstanding! Id love to see the final book!

In my opinion, the best collector's reference book today is The M1icon Carbine by L. C. Larsen. Its unlikely there are records extent as comprehensive or the with the same level of detail that is available for the M1 Carbine, but, as a collector I appreciate the quality of the color pics, the individual parts by mfr and type labeled and pictured, the year by year, manufacturer by manufacturer, production block by production block, and part version by version detail, and all the separate sections for part markings, accessories and others is just outstanding!

For me, the distinction between Lee Metford, Lee Speed and Long Lee military pattern rifles is still unclear. There seems to be many Lee Speed military pattern rifles used in conflicts including WWI. Or am I mistaken? So to me, commercial vs. government rifles, after all thee years, seems unimportant, or vague at least.

I confess that I have only skimmed thru Skennertonicon's book. I will look into the section you suggested, but the standard I compare collector's books is Larsen's.

I very much appreciate your posts on this issue. I will receive the rifle tomorrow and start restoration evaluation and plans. I found a good bayo and scabbard at a "good" price but no frog. I will get a repro frog from Savage. He does excellent wok in my experience. I have yet to follow the one or two leads on the dust cover (the original topic of this entry), but my expectations are low. As I may have mentioned, this rifle is the 103rd, and likely the last for a time, long arm in a collection of long arms of each major belligerent (battle and sniper rifles, and carbines) from the Spanish American War thru the Cold War that is on display at the Texas Veterans Hall of Museum in Denton, Texas north of Dallas (often considered an extension of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex). I need all the help I can get as I am sure Ive got errors in my collection (e.g., I recently determined that an Arisakaicon T44 in my WWII section was a 1914 WWI rifle!. That was actually an exciting find for me!!)
    Thanks for sharing the recommendation of Larson's book. I do not own it, but I have seen it at shows. I am not an expert on M1 carbines, though I have read Ruth's 3-volume set. (IMHO, one does not become an expert by reading a book---though that certainly gives you a strong foundation of knowledge---but by examining hundreds of rifles and comparing them). I admit that I am partial to Ruth's approach, though of course there are problems with it. I see what you mean about Larson's book---I cannot agree with some of the choices he (or his publisher) made, but I can understand why a collector would appreciate seeing the information laid out in that way. I will definitely keep that in mind for the Lee-Speed book, and try offer something that collectors can use to identify the rifle they come across. I am grateful for this insight. It's hard to make one single book that will satisfy all readers and be useful both to collectors and historians, but there's probably not a market for two books.

The arms collection project at the museum in Denton sounds like a very ambitious project! All respect and congratulations to you for undertaking it! If I am down near Dallas I will try to check it out.

Regarding the various terms for Lee rifles, see the last section of Skennertons book... all the government models are laid out there. "Long Lee" is just an informal term for the original rifles that had the long barrels... versus the carbines and (later) the SMLE, which were short rifles. The Lee-Metford was the original Britishicon military Lee, and "Metford" refers to the rifling. When they adopted 5-groove rifling in 1895, they adopted the name "Lee-Enfield." The term "Lee-SPeed" does not refer to rifling or to a model, but to patent acknowledgement markings that were found on commercial rifles. By "commercial rifle," I mean one that was produced for sale to anyone besides HM Government. Sometimes these commercial rifles were sold to foreign governments (with War Office permission) or to civilians. They were made on the same machinery as the government rifles, but only the "service patterns" were made to government specifications. There were other models (which I described above) that were "semi-military" or "sporting" (for big game hunters) and also smallbore versions (for smallbore target shooting). The service pattern rifles that were made for target shooting were of the military pattern by were often a higher grade of fit and finish (these are the ones you hear about being of a higher grade---please see the article I referenced above for a fuller discusson of the Lee-Speed target models). But as a customer, you paid extra for that---if you wanted one that was plain grade, you could get that too. I hope this makes it all less vague.

Yes, Lee-Speeds saw action is various conflicts--- not as general issue of course, but in the hands of some officers, and in certain other circumstances. Jameson Raid, Boer War (both sides), Rhodesia, WWI (as sniping rifles), and some purchased by the Royal Navy (complicated story).
    Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have data to share or questions, please send me a PM.

2. Thank You to Jc5 For This Useful Post: