(For any of you that might have seen this on another forum, bear with me - I gotta share my "treasures" to see if I can learn anymore about them. )

Grandpa Relaxing in Camp near Paris, Franceicon, 1918

After my wife and I returned from our honeymoon nearly 41 years ago, my new father-in-law handed me a cardboard shoe box and inside were this holstered 1911 U.S.iconArmy .45 Colt and an Iver Johnson .38 S&W 5 shot revolver with mother of pearl grips. He said that the Colt had belonged to his father who had carried it in France during WWI as an officer in the Transportation Corps.

The pistol came with two 2- toned magazines one with a lanyard loop and the other without:

The serial number indicates that the pistol was made in 1917

I don't know how long grandpa served in the Army, but I do know he advanced from lieutenant to major since we also have his service medals and rank "jewels".

My inlaws lived in Yonkers, New York (where we were married) and my father-in-law wanted me to have the handguns since he had never registered them and he knew we were going back west to live in Arizona. I still have them both and hope to pass them along to our grandson.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.