Was at a gun show a few years back, '03 or '04 if I remember right. Was Sunday afternoon and gettin close to closing time. I spotted a rack full of straight bolt '98's in milsurp livery. He wanted $100 a piece for 'em. None of the bolt numbers matched anything else in the rack or the guns they were in.

On the back of the rack was one more. It was buried in cosmolineicon and was a mess to look at. I picked it up and scraped number the bolt with my thumbnail and it matched the gun. I asked how much for that one. He allowed as how they were so hard to make to make presentable and he was tired of cleaning 'em up, he'd take $50 for it. I told him I'd go $35 and he said I owned it.

It is a 7MM Brazilianicon M98. It cleaned up nice. I've seen better bores, but my experience has shown that most Mausers will shoot with dark bores about as good as those with bright bores. The lands are still sharp and it may clean up if I ever remember to drag it out and put a few rounds down range with it.

I like the 7X57MM round. Used to have a couple of the little Spanish rolling blocks in 7MM, but like a dummy, I let 'em get away. Got a Ruger M77 in that caliber. It was my dad's and he killed a lot of deer with it and I've killed a few myself with it. I used to carry a sporterized Mod94 Swede in 6.5X55 and it is a LOT of fun to shoot too.

Only number on that thing doesn't match is the little piece of the cleaning rod. If I recall correctly, it took the rods of 3 guns to make one cleaning rod.

Oh well.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.