I'm new to the carbine collecting world, having purchased a CMPicon rack grade IBM carbine last October. Prior to that, I've had a fair amount of range time using a Inland that was on extended loan from a friend, as I was more interested in shooting them than collecting. Yet, I've always wanted to own one because it was the primary weapon my Dad carried throughout his WWII European service as a forward observer.

But the bug has bitten and now I'm infected, like the rest of you. I've purchased the books and have read them repeatedly, learning something new each time. One of the things that I've found most impressive was it's rapid development from concept to proven battlefield weapon, with over 6 million produced in a span of three years! This could only be accomplished by having several contractors and many subcontractors all building parts to a single government spec. The parts from one supplier had to be 100% compatible with every other supplier. This one fact I find astonishing and impressive.

I've noticed that collectors are most interested in carbines which are more or less built with parts from the same manufacturer, which makes perfect sense. But its too bad that many of these great rifles become show pieces or "safe queens".

I propose another type of carbine to add to one's collection. How about one that is deliberately built from part(s) culled from every single source? A 100% mix-master that has a part from every single major contractor and as many subcontractors represented as possible?

Purists and serious collectors are probably chuckling now... but having a carbine like this in one's collection represents what this rifle really is; a fantastic demonstration of a genius design, complete co-operation between government and the private sector and a first rate example of the industrial prowess of the United Statesicon at it's best. It would truly be a democratic rifle. And in an odd way, it would be beautiful.

It would cost less that an all original and could even give someone bragging rights as to how many different manufactures are represented in a working rifle.

And then after building one, it would be important to go out and shoot it on a regular basis! That's the real proof and the ultimate testament of it's design.

Any takers, or is this idea too crass to contemplate?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.