Hello, newbie poster here. I've recently become interested in C&R shotguns, particularly those of JMBrowning design. WRT this, I've obtained a 520 and a 620 Stevens shotguns and have a question regarding the matching P proof marks adjacent each other on the upper left barrel and receiver on both firearms (photos below). Upper photo is of the 520, receiver is retailer stamped WARD'S WESTERN FIELD MODEL 30, the lower is of the 620, which has a blank receiver, no maker or retailer name stamp.

Note I've asked the following on other forums and have searched the related threads here without coming to a firm conclusion, though a thread here touched on the matter. My question is, are these pictured proof marks military related or just civilian proofs? I have another civilian Stevens 620 with no such proofs, plus a full military marked Savage 720 (barrel and receiver left side P plus flaming bomb proofs) that also doesn't have these matching P proof marks on top. Are these P proofs perhaps related to shotguns obtained under the wartime Blanket Procurement Program which may or may not have received other proof marks depending on the use to which they were put? Thanks for any firm information!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.