Thread: New member showing enfields

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed

Last On
    @

New member showing enfields

Hey guys,

Im Dave, Im 20 and I'm from the great white north.

Just recently got my firearms licence and found this site, so I figured I would post the begining of my collection so far.

First up is my Savage No4 mk1* its got a "95C" serial # does anyone know the date on it?

Second is my 1920 BSA Contract "Smilling Tiger" No1 Mk.3*

Thats all for now.

Legacy Member
    Last On
    @
    Hi Dave

Great looking pair of rifles and a fine start to your collection. Beware though, it's pretty addictive! I started with my first SMLE about 3 years ago and I'm due to collect my latest Lee Enfield purchase (my ninth) next week!

All the best

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by D-BOMB View Post
    First up is my Savage No4 mk1* its got a "95C" serial # does anyone know the date on it?
    95C block would be in the last year of production - 1944.

FREE MEMBER

Last On
    @
    Yeah it does seem addictive...I already have my eye on a 43' Lithgow haha

And thank you for the info on the date!

Nice Siam contract SMLE! How is the bore? I have one that could be its twin, unfortunatly the bore is trash with no rifling to speak of.

The Lithgows of any vintage are very nice rifles. My first Enfield was a 1941 Lithgow given to me by my father for Christmas many years ago. If memory serves, he paid $29.95 for it at Roses Department Store, about what a box of Remington 303 Brit ammo costs now. That 41 Lithgow is also the rifle that got me hooked on Enfields. Interesting to ponder what may have happened if my father had decided to give me a Mosin-Nagant, or Mauser instead.....

Just remember not to leave those two alone in a dark corner..... The're like rabbits.

FREE MEMBER

Last On
    @
    Unfortunatly the Smilling Tiger is deactivated My grandfather gave it to me years ago and I guess that is what got me interested in enfields. I never knew any info on it until recently when I started looking into them before purchasing my No.4

I dragged the girlfriend out to the range today as well and seeing as how she had never fired a gun before I started her out on my SKS, when she was more comfortable I let her try the No.4 and she loved it...great! why cant "Love" the cheap czeck surplus ammo?haha
    Last edited by D-BOMB; 05-12-2011 at 02:01 AM.

FREE MEMBER

Last On
    @
    No sense starting a new thread so I will just ask here, Can anyone give me some tips on cleaning Lee enfields? My Granfather was trained on the No.4 and he said just use the pull through with a patch, which is what I have been doing. Is there anything else to it or any other suggestions?

I was always taught that you only need to clean your rifle sufficient to satisfy the platoon sergeant. No-one else counts. In other words, don't over clean it and he'll tell you, in no uncertain terms......., if you've undercleaned it. And NEVER put it away unless it's dry

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    @
    The biggest problem alot of shooters in general is that they over love there rifles with cleaning products ie:cleaning rods and brushes.
    As long as you oil them up after youve finished with them and cleaned the powder residue from them. Most old military ammo is corrosive as many have discussed on this forum before. So there are many ways to keep your collection in pristine condition, so probably the best thing to do is ask around at the range next time your there and im sure the answers will flow freely and varied.
    Till then enjoy your new hobby
    Regards
    Fergs

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    @
    Really fine pieces! I own two Savage´s and i´m really jealous on your "Smiling Tiger". Good start!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast