A friend of mine just brought me an old rifle that he got through the mail and it's a mess. Unfortunately he wants me to clean it up for him and make it look "good". It's one of the old rifles that they found in storage in Nepal and I think it's a Lee-Metford short lever rifle.

It looks like it's covered in old dirt and cosmolineicon and the buttstock has a big split across it which looks like a dog leg. The only saving grace to it is the fact that the action does seem to work well.

I'm thinking mineral spirits and steel wool will get the crud off, a 20 gauge brass cleaning brush and a gallon of Hoppe's might clean out the bore and a re-blue job might make the metal look good but I haven't really got a clue on the stock. The split is about 1/16th wide and pretty much goes the length of the butt stock.

I tried to talk him into just sending it back since he had approval rights on it but he says it's too cool to let it go. Suggestions greatly appreciated here.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.