Threaded View

Last On
    11-27-2022 @ 11:10 AM
    Local Date
    04-26-2024
    Local Time
    09:09 AM

Pics of the Reising M65 USMC " rat rifle"

When the marines started moving across the pacific , they started to have vermin problems in thier supply dumps. Shooting the creatures with M1s or Tommyguns was not the answer. Not only for the damage , but any marines that had been pulled back from the front lines for a night or two of sleep and hot meals and dry beds would be disturbed. Indeed , a couple of fire fights erupted because of this. Enter the rat rifle.

A few M65 .22lr trainers were pulled and sent to the USMC armorers. There they were modified to take Maxim suppressors. These were shipped to the dumps to kill the rats ( ergo , it's nick-name). Some front liners found out about them , and decided it did not matter if the rats were two or four legged . They took some and thier ammo on patrols.

I bought this from a gunshow seller for $100. A few asiles later I ran into another seller who asked to see it. He was an ex-marine company scout , and HE CARRIED ONE!!!! Told me what I had , his experiances , everything. I should have written it down , but I didn't know at the time how rare this was. The stock was cracked from trigger cut out to cocking slot ( only the butt and tip was holding it together ) and areas of the stock had a musshy , foam rubber feeling ( jungle rot?). I pick up a replacement stock and I fear I threw the orig. away . I know---I know.

Looked long and hard for an orig. suppressor , could not find one , so I had this modern guts , kindda copy made. Enjoy , Chris

If any one has any more info on use and/or numbers made , I'd like to know. I'd hate to see these fall into the unknown. They are a part of history. Thanks , Chris
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 6 Members Say Thank You to emmagee1917 For This Useful Post: