NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    02-17-2010 @ 02:30 PM
    Local Date
    04-26-2024
    Local Time
    12:10 PM

Bayonet for the Thompson?

Gents a guy has what he claims to be a bayonet for a Thompson sub on ebay here is a reply from him, any thoughts ? ........ hi, i dont understand why you cant find reference to it when i search google for Thompson Submachine Gun, M1928A1 with bayonet i get 48,000 hits. like i stated to someone before i searched for hours and finaly found a picture of a stand alone one. below are 2 links that show a picture os one attached. just no detail http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg29-e.htm Auto-Ordnance | History also there is a ton of infor on the thompson having a bayonet lug and being issued to the USMC. If theis was a common bayonet it would be all over the place. It is not common but rare and no it is not a home made job, thanks, mark
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    06-07-2013 @ 03:30 PM
    Local Date
    04-26-2024
    Local Time

Thompson Bayonet

I've seen old sales photos from Thompson adds. I believe they were Us Kragicon bayonets. Hence lack of rarity. SKIP

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    Local Date
    04-26-2024
    Local Time
    Yea I agree by the pics that are on the websight that the guy left. They sure look like Kragicon bayonets. This guy on ebay is trying to pawn off a model 1905/42 with the bayonet lug cut off into a "V" ........VERY RARE WWII USMC BAYONET FOR THE M1923 THOMPSON - eBay (item 350275524869 end time Nov-12-09 18:13:31 PST)

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    06-07-2013 @ 03:30 PM
    Local Date
    04-26-2024
    Local Time

Bayonet for Thompson

Fantasy!!-SKIP

Last On
    05-28-2020 @ 10:11 PM
    Local Date
    04-26-2024
    Local Time
    I contacted the seller the first time this bayonet was listed and asked for a link showing this to be a bayonet for the Thompson. He replied that it took him about three hours to find it and if I looked on line I should be able to find it too. If it took him so long to find it, don't you think he should have bookmarked the site? I spent about ten minutes looking and said forget it. When I saw the bayonet was reposted I didn't even bother to look at it. Form the post above I see he added links, but as mentioned the bayonet in the picture is an 1892 Kragicon.

I don't claim to know everything about bayonets, but I have an extensive library and have been collecting for 41 years. I don't think this is what the seller claims it to be.

Last On
    04-17-2024 @ 08:49 PM
    Local Date
    04-26-2024
    Local Time
    10:10 AM
    I also contacted the seller. I explained that the bayonet he had was for an M1icon Garand. The bayonet had the muzzle ring removed. Also the link he was referring to showed a Krag bayonet and it had the muzzle ring.
    His response was if the bayonet he had was not a rare one they would be all over the web. So the one he has is not all over the web it MUST be a rare bayonet for the Thompson.
    Sometimes you just cannot help people.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    Local Date
    04-26-2024
    Local Time
    Yea I kinda got the same feeling. I have been collecting for a long time too and do not claim to know or have seen all especially the rare and odd. So I felt like I should ask. Who and the hell would want a bayonet on a Thompson in the first place it would be like putting one on a Sten. The Sub is way to short to get any type of thrust out of it to be affective. Just my thought!

Last On
    02-15-2023 @ 10:08 PM
    Local Date
    04-26-2024
    Local Time
    09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ibuymilitaria View Post
    Who and the hell would want a bayonet on a Thompson in the first place it would be like putting one on a Sten. The Sub is way to short to get any type of thrust out of it to be affective. Just my thought!
    As a matter of fact, a Sten or other SMG is the perfect place for a bayonet.

Where/when does a soldier use a bayonet? As a weapon within close distance, ie. sticking range. When is an SMG used? Within close distance.

How does the length of firearm determine how much "thrust" one has? Weight may play a part as far as force is considered, however during that type of engagement, the difference will be negligible.

One may think of 2 soldiers, each with a single shot Martini, doing a parry type engagement after both have expended their ammunition and to continue the fight, however those days may be over.

The question may be, how much of a trade off will there be, by extending a short firearm and it's operational requirement, with the need to have a secondary weapon fixed at the ready? Therein lies the dilemma.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    05-01-2015 @ 11:25 PM
    Local Date
    04-26-2024
    Local Time
    11:10 AM
    There was an experimental Thompson called the "Annihilator" that was suppose to be belt fed, but the problems of using a belt in the Thompson was never overcome, and it never got past the prototype stage. The Annihilator was suppose to be fitted with the service bayonet.
    There was also a Model 1923 Thompson chambered for a longer version of the .45 ACP cartridge, and it was to be equipped with a bayonet as well as a folding bipod. Both version predated the WWII bayonet offered.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    Local Date
    04-26-2024
    Local Time
    Thanks you all who have left messages on this thread. I really appreciate it Jeff B

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast