Quote Originally Posted by jason43050 View Post
Hi guys, 1st time guest here.
I have a bayonet, it says S A i guess its a bomb symbol then 1906 on one side. the other side says : US 140072.
It has a 16" blade. It's 20 3/4" from blade tip to bottom of handle. Looks to be a wal-nut handle. The scabbard i guess thats what everyone is calling it, the case or the thing you put the bayonet away in. It's like a rawhide/leather? covering wood.copper looking top with 2 rivits in it. I'll have to get some pictures of it on here. I was wanting to know some information on it. Maybe some history on it, was it used in a war? How much it might be worth? My Grandmother found it in a barn in Ohio. Any info would be appreciated. Jason Burris
your bayonet is similar to one of the first discussed here , most likely yes it served , it would have been around in the first world war and the second as well as korea , not sure when these were surplused ,

it was made in 1906 at springfield and no they were not issued by serial number as far as we know , so unfortunately that part of its history is a mystery ,

your scabord could be one of the early M1905 versions that had a brown leater outer cover with eather a krag style metal belt hanger or refitted with a wire hanger or a later M1910 version canvas cover with a leather tip and wire hanger [this is probably what you have]these slipped over what you seem to be describeing to have ,
this is what they would look like -