NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    07-21-2023 @ 06:51 PM
    Local Date
    05-04-2024
    Local Time
    11:53 AM

From Humble Beginnings.

Went to the North Store last week. The Plan? A Winchester M1icon Garand. There are no Service Grade Winchesters available, so anything I found was likely to be in abysmal condition (known as Rack and Field Grade at the CMPicon). I came prepared. I had an excellent condition 60’s SA barrel (TE-4, MW-0), a complete rear sight, an excellent SA op rod, and a newly refinished USGI stock/handguard set with all the stock metal. After looking at all the Rack and Field Grade Winchesters with wood suited only for firewood, I started checking out the woodless Rack Grade Winchesters. While they were equally as horrible as the ones with wood (almost all swallowed a muzzle wear gage), at least they were more affordable (although they came without a rear sight). Out of the dozen or so I checked, one seemed in decent condition and even had a barrel that wasn’t completely shot out. A friend joined me at this point, and agreed that it was the best of the lot. Later, my friend removed the original barrel and installed my better barrel, lapped the lugs, redid the crown, installed the rear sight, and dropped it into the stock I had refinished earlier. To say I am happy with the transformation would be an understatement.

Don

Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    10-01-2023 @ 12:52 AM
    Local Date
    05-04-2024
    Local Time
    10:53 AM
    Nice keeper, for sure. Good find.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
+ Reply to Thread