I have picked up a couple of No. 5 Jungle Carbines. Neither is in spectacular condition but both have decent wood and bores.

I have been working up cast bullet reloads for them and have also tried some military surplus ammo and Federal factory rounds.

I would like to get some realistic feedback on potential accuracy of the guns.

So far they are being shot with stock sights.

Military surplus ammo gave poor "buckshot" patterns a of about 6" at 50 meters.

Federal factory 150 gr. rounds gave about the same or a little better accuracy of between 4" & 6" at 50 meters.

Cast bullets (Lyman 314299 and a couple of homemade moulds) started out at about the same at 6" and while working up loads I have gone up to 12" or so for some loads and down to 1 1/2" to 2" for others.

All shooting has been off the bench at 50 meters.

I have a few good loads that now need refining. I have learned a few things along the way and will apply them to some previously bad loads that really shouldn't have been so bad to see if they help.

For the most part the cast bullet loads have been fairly mild and all have been developed starting with loading book cast bullet data.

Powders used are:
  • IMR 4227
  • IMR 4320
  • IMR 4064
  • Unique
  • IMR 4198

Best results to date have been with IMR 4227 & 4198 and Unique.

I have slugged the bore and find I have a 0.313" to 0.314" groove diameter and 0.303" land diameter.

The federal factory bullets miked at 0.311" and had grouped very poorly so I pulled several bullets, "knurled" them to bring diameter up to 0.313" then reloaded them. Accuracy improved dramatically from around 4"+ to about 1 1/2".

I am suspecting that my less than stellar shooting skills are limiting the lower group size so plan on adding a scope to reduce my introduced error. Likely an ATI or S&K so there is no drilling or tapping.

The No. 5's have a reputation for "wandering zero" but I have also read several articles where the writers No. 5's do not seem to suffer from this.

What are the experiences here with No. 5's?

Wandering zero a problem?

Potential accuracy assuming good mechanical condition?

I am thinking that if I can get 1 1/2" to 2" groups at 50 meters with battle sights a scope should reduce that so maybe I already have reached (or nearly anyway) the potential of the gun. I would not find consistent 2" to 3" groups at 100 meters to be a disappointment. I am just curious what others expect and are finding they can achieve.

I would appreciate whatever info or feedback any of you can provide.

Thanks,
Kent9497
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.