Threaded View

Last On
    @
    Local Date
    04-30-2024
    Local Time
    08:14 AM

My collection online

For the last 4+ months I've been uploading photos and collector information for pistols in my collection to a new site I launched today. I currently have, on the site, more than 1100 photos of roughly 200 pistols and about 60 other items, mostly related to the M1911 and M1911A1 pistols.

I've also included on the site photos and information for roughly 30+ other USGI pistols/revolvers and foreign mfg. and Captured by U.S. Troops pistols and rigs. In addition to that, there are categories in the Gallery for holsters, belts, mag pockets, lanyards and various other accessories.

The Gallery features a Pistol Search which allows subscribers to the site the ability to search 11 different search fields...Year, Manufacturer, Model, Branch or Service, Serial Number, Finish, Final Inspector, Barrel Marking, Caliber, Action, and Arsenal Marking. The search engine will deliver a page customized to your specific search entries.

The site primarily focuses on the M1911 and M1911A1 pistols and various services and Solutions I offer for M1911 Buyers & Sellers. Over the last 30+ years of dealing and collecting these pistols, I think I've managed to get a pretty good idea of what information is important and what most guys trying to collect need.

I've posted a video demonstration of how the Gallery navigates on YouTube, as well as on the site. You can see the full screen version at YouTube by searching M1911info. It's only 1 min 18 sec longs, but does show how easily the site delivers useful information.

One of the key benefits of the Gallery I've created is that all the left and right side photos are large 1024 x 768, and they're shot in the same lighting and background for consistency. Every gun has at least the left and right views, many have other photos, and Featured Pistols provide numerous views and detailed information.

The results for all 11 search fields automatically display, along with a written description for every pistol with the photos at the bottom of the page. Once you click on a photo, you can click "N" on your keyboard for Next, "P" for Previous and "C" to Close and go back to the pistol detail page.

I pre-sorted all the Gallery items into 12 different Categories which allows you to more easily view related content. While it has been a lot of work to prepare and upload all the content, I must admit I am pretty pleased with the end product. I will continue uploading more photos and information. I already have shot more than 4000 photos for the site since April. I plan to add a few more Categoreis to the Gallery...but there is already a lot to see.

I hope all the photos and collector information I provide proves to be useful to subscribers of the site. I'm sure there will be some glitches I'll have to work out as I start hearing some feedback. But for now, I'm just happy to take a break and catch my breath.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Scott Gahimer; 08-13-2010 at 11:10 AM.

2. The Following 4 Members Say Thank You to Scott Gahimer For This Useful Post: