+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bren Mag boxes: rare variant

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Last On
    @

Bren Mag boxes: rare variant

Hey Guys, have you seen this 7.92mm Mag transit box on Fleabay? VERY scarce variant for the Chinese contract. Will fit the Czech ZB's as well I would have thought? Rare enough in itself, But I think the shipping to the UK would kill it!
    Check out Fleabay Number:220699239481.
    I would like one myself, but fear the postage cost will make it prohibitive!

Not particularly rare Tankie. I expect that within a few days you'll have one via some of the Bren fiends here.............

Last On
    @
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Laidler View Post
    Not particularly rare Tankie. I expect that within a few days you'll have one via some of the Bren fiends here.............
    Pete, I have never even seen one before, let alone handled one! Like yourself, I have inspected, repaired & modified thousands of the NORMAL bren & LMG mag boxes.
    But I have never encountered a 7.92 Variant box before, even on the collectors market!
    Yep, I WOULD like one if any of our erstwhile bren affectionardos would like to part wuith one!..........Please!

Theres a version with chinese script as well as Engish, I believe theres also 2 diffrent handles. Kev G knows quite a bit about these.

These are some photos that were previously posted by Kev.

Last On
    @
    I dont mind what stenciling is on them, I just want one for some Czech ZB mags!
    The ones on Ebay look to be in EXCELLENT condition!
    Anybody got a decent one they dont mind parting with?.................

That top box looks like it was on the beach with BP's T&E gear!

If you want to preserve that T&E gear BP, you ought to leave it in a tin of old engine oil for 2 years while the salt leeches out. Then, once a month or so, get the oil boiling hot and allow it to cool

Legacy Member
    Last On
    @
    If you want to store ZB mags wouldn't you rather look out for a specific (13 mag) ZB mag box ,rather than the 10 mag 7.92 box ?

I have a spare 'post war' one as per Ebay if you want to PM me.

None of these boxes from the US storage depot or the same type from Canada have handles on them though.They are also not the same construction as the WW2 type for China though externaly they will pass off.

The rusty 7.92 box is probably the most interesting one regardless of it's condition as it is the same construction as the WW2 Chinese boxes but it is in English with a more stylised font.This is the only one of this type I have seen.

ATB Kevin

On the subject of the 7.92mm mag boxes KG and all. In Malaya and Australia we had some 7.92mm Bren guns and mag boxes captured from the VC. The boxes were compartmentalised internally widthwise, as per the usual boxes but to take up the slack for the shorter 7.92mm mags, there was a lengthwise ribbed spacer along the box. The section behind the ribbed spacer carried the spare parts wallet (the SPW). Whether it was meant to carry the SPW or not I can't be sure but it was tucked in there. That would make sense because unlike the holdall which is left behind, the SPW is always carried by the second of the gun team. These were obviously converted Bren boxes, not done locally by the slopes as they were in that very matt kahki colour with similar Chinese writing. In fact I'd never seen one of the smaller purpose made boxes until I was shown one in the early 80's.

Has anyone ever seen a magazine box like this and wondered what it was?

Oh, go on then....., I knew someone would ask......... If on ops you leave the holdall behind with the platoon kit, where do you keep the second barrel? The gunner or the No2 carries it tucked across his front, tucked behind the top of his pouches, under his cross straps. If not that, rolled into the poncho roll across his, er........, bottom. I don't know if that's how the VC carried them but they certainly weren't carrying them like that when ours were captured

Last On
    @
    Kev, PM Sent, Cheers.

Legacy Member
    Last On
    @
    Thanks for sorting out my 7.92 canadian/chinese mag box still has pride of place thanks kev.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast