+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Other caliber chamber inserts, any ideas?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    10-04-2014 @ 11:58 PM
    Local Date
    05-02-2024
    Local Time
    03:33 AM

Other caliber chamber inserts, any ideas?

I see one of our regular and favorite ebay enfield sellers has for sale this week chamber inserts that allow one to shoot 32 acp/32 H&R mag/32 S&W and also 25 Tokarev. Any idea where these come from and if they come in other calibers like 7.63x39, which is one of the cheapest ammos here in NZicon?

303 British to 32 adapter | eBay
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    @
    Local Date
    05-02-2024
    Local Time
    06:33 AM
    I see them advertized in magazines and catalogues here in the U.S. but don't know if they're made here or where everything else is made now a days,China. Only calibers I've heard of are the ones you've listed.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    01-10-2022 @ 02:07 PM
    Local Date
    05-02-2024
    Local Time
    10:33 AM
    I think 7.62x39 is too big at the shoulder to leave enough metal on a .303 sub-cal device.

In UKicon these devices are classed as a Section1 firearm, and require to be proofed.....

Last On
    @
    Local Date
    05-02-2024
    Local Time
    Anybody have any firsthand experience with them, especially the 7.62x25 caliber? I've taken some measurements of .303 and 7.62x25 cases and asuming the inserts are made to the dimentions of an unfired .303 case the wall thickness is only .037''. With the 7.62x25 being a fairly high pressure cartridge, if not properly heat treated it seems possibly for the insert to become bulged in the chamber area within a short period of time rendering them useless. Any thoughts?

Last On
    01-10-2022 @ 02:07 PM
    Local Date
    05-02-2024
    Local Time
    10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vintage hunter View Post
    Anybody have any firsthand experience with them, especially the 7.62x25 caliber? I've taken some measurements of .303 and 7.62x25 cases and asuming the inserts are made to the dimentions of an unfired .303 case the wall thickness is only .037''. With the 7.62x25 being a fairly high pressure cartridge, if not properly heat treated it seems possibly for the insert to become bulged in the chamber area within a short period of time rendering them useless. Any thoughts?
    I've got one of the .32ACP versions, but haven't used it yet. When i do. I'll be using a target good for about 500 MOA.......

Presumably the case, being steel, will either spring back to shape after forming to the chamber wall during firing, or it will adopt a smaller bulge than would be the case will malleable brass.

Last On
    @
    Local Date
    05-02-2024
    Local Time
    Peter, there are some adapters made that use the .30 carbine round but the ones I've seen were for .30-06 or .308/7.62 NATO. I always figured accuracy would be lousy, way too much free bore for such short bullets.

Last On
    Yesterday @ 06:29 PM
    Real Name
    Robert Seccombe
    Local Date
    05-02-2024
    Local Time
    05:33 AM

chamber inserts

I bought one for 30-06 and 303 Britishicon that will use 32 S&W short or 32 ACP. The insert is steel but not that hard, you can remove some steel from the base should the insert be too long for your chamber. I used the 32 ACP in a Mark 1***, COND II* and a BSA Mark III (1909). All these rifles were shot at around 20 or 25 feet from a rest. Interesting is that they all made a four shot group with the bullet holes all overlapping and the fifth shot just outside the group. Still around a half inch group for five rounds.
    You could get a chamber reamer and rechamber the insert to 32 S&W long or even 32-20 Winchester. The 32 ACP with the jacket bullet appears to shoot better than the lead bullet in the 32 S&W.Attachment 23035 Photo shows the 303 cal insert
    Last edited by RCS; 05-07-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Contributing Member
    Last On
    04-12-2024 @ 05:14 PM
    Local Date
    05-02-2024
    Local Time
    11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vintage hunter View Post

Cant say my experiance was an enjoyable one but I Bought one a few years back, (.303 - .32 ACP) if you have the patience of a saint, as its time consuming knocking the empty case out out of the insert, apart from that there not too bad, quality of the bore is not well finished but the outside is excellent, I picked up a load of .32 ACP at bisley and intended to use them in my No 4.

One thing I will say always clean your rifle after use, in my case it wasn`t just the chared up bits of lead in the bore, as it was a while between aquiring the ammo and finally going to the club and testing it out, I forgot what the bloke at bisley had said " Its old ammo so the primers may be corrosive" he was spot on, doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out what the barrel looked like a week later !!

Well this is were the fun started, not phased I give it a good clean and the bore come good, took a long time, but finally got to the point of using my pull through, of course this was an original from a cleaning kit (old) thought I,d give it one last clean so changed the cleaning patch and started on the final pull, it was tight but started to go, got to half way and it snapped, At this point I was slightly pi**** off to say the least, the left over of the pull through started to shift but finally wouldnt go anymore even hammering the alluminum rod down, the pull through was acting like a buffer as it was compressed so tight, plan C was put in to action, I had made a few years before some brass and Aluminium extractors and also something that resembles a deep hole drill bit, (all soft material ). so went out in to the garage with the rifle.

Its a long process and to speed it up I leaned over to get the drill from the workbench, (I was sat on a box at the time, with the rifle across my knees), as soon as I touched the drill I got a shock, with this I moved my arm downwards throwing the drill to the floor, at this point I moved a leg which just had the rifle balanced on one knee, of course once the drill had left my hand, my hand was still travelling at some speed and enough speed and force to hit the rifle which forced the fore-end down towards the floor and causing the butt to jump up and smack me just on the corner of the eye socket, with in minutes it looked like a murder scene, claret everywhere, dripping all over, all down my front I manged to stem the blood with my T shirt and cover the rifle while I went back into the house, locked the rifle up, and had a look at the damage, it needed something so found a clean shirt and taped a patch over the wound and went down to the drop in centre.

The nurse said "what have you been doing"

"walked into the door" I said ........

Chamber Adapters....... personally I prefare to make the barrel now, and for anyone interested in .30M1 carbine and have any old target barrels in .308 / 7.62 you can turn them down and chamber for .30 M1icon carbine, to fit a No4 or SMLE

(see part 5 in the restorers corner top of the sticky,s SMLE NO1 Mk V Restro)
    Last edited by bigduke6; 05-13-2011 at 05:11 PM.

10. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to bigduke6 For This Useful Post:

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    04-28-2024 @ 11:48 AM
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire. The home of MG Cars
    Real Name
    Peter Laidler
    Local Date
    05-02-2024
    Local Time
    11:33 AM
    What about .30 carbine?

Last On
    11-04-2023 @ 11:13 AM
    Local Date
    05-02-2024
    Local Time
    No first hand experience but I did read that accuracy left a lot to be desired. It was a while ago and I can't remember which board I read it on or the adapter used but I gathered that they were not happy with the results.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast