So this is really somewhat of a broader topic but in my case I am concerned with two original leather slings for K98s that I have picked up in my travels. They are both in about the same condition with one a little better than the other. The markings are faint on both but it is clear they are original. It has been my policy when I run across any original leather sling to carefully remove it from the rifle and roll it up loosely and place it in a zipped plastic bag. The thought being that sealed up it might last a little longer?
Beyond all this, I really would like to display them on rifles especially since picking up my matching 98k- I feel like I just about every other accoutrement for it that it needs to have and original sling on it. Generally in this situation, I pick up a replica on IMA, get it dirty and relax the leather at work to make it supple; I do this so I can use the sling as well as have it look the part.
What I am interested in is a good way to preserve the original slings not necessarily to use it to tote the rifle around, but for display and some light use. I know I have heard a million different takes on it before so I am putting it to you guys. What do you do to your slings and other leather goods, mauser or otherwise?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.