Thread: 1944 Springfield op rod concern

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed

Last On
    @

1944 Springfield op rod concern

Merry Christmas to you all!
    I have a Springfield M1 that I have had for several years. It functions fine, shoots well and is as accurate as I expect from a 70 year old gun that has had nothing at all done to it in terms of accurizing.I don't shoot it a whole lot, but would like to now that we have a local outdoor range.
    The other day I read something about the "tilt test". I tried it and my rifle failed it. The bolt would go 75% back and then stop. I isolated the bind to just inside the rear of the gas cylinder.
    The op rod has a bend (slight)in it in the up and down direction, but is straight with respect to right-left. I does not bind where it goes through the handguard, but has a shiny streak where it has rubbed on the lip of the gas cylinder or the front handguard ferrule and when I pull the bolt back I can feel the piston rub on the side of the cylinder.
    Question: Is the op rod bent? Will it hurt to shoot the gun and if it is a problem would I be better off to have a professional straighten it of just get another op rod? (the gun has the usual post-war mix of parts)
    Thanks in advance!

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    @
    Baccerman...

Well, given the following:

...It functions fine, shoots well and is as accurate as I expect from a 70 year old gun that has had nothing at all done to it in terms of accurizing.I don't shoot it a whole lot..
    I don't think you've anything to worry about. You can, if you wish, relieve the "rubbed on" spots on the lower band, or front handguard ferrule. Just a little should do the trick. Do not try to rebend the operating rod! One of the better known places to have operating rods rebuilt is:

[[[ http://www.columbusmachine.com/index.htm ]]]

I've not done business with this outfit, but have seen nothing but positive reports from those who have.

HTH

Ben Hartley

Last On
    @
    baccerman,

As Ben noted above, the op rod is bent for a purpose, refer to this link for an explanation better than I can relate.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/%5Cfaqs...Qs%5COpRod.htm

I take it from your explanation that you are familiar, but maybe lack more in depth experience with the Garand. If so I feel your binding is something many of us have experienced when re-assembling a M1 after a detail strip ( as opposed to a field strip). When re-assembling you encounter the bind, I have, what I did to correct it was see if the front hand guard has any play, if it's too tight there will be a problem.

Again I'd refer you to a link for a good explanation that may help, it can be methodical but have patience, after you realize what works and how to get this corrected you'll be more confident.
    Gas Cylinder lock - # of turns? [Archive] - CMP Forums

I just read this post that I think may be of interest.
    M1 Garand gas cylinder lock fit - re-hash
    Last edited by Sarge1998; 12-25-2011 at 10:16 PM.

FREE MEMBER

Last On
    @

re op rod

Thanks for the replies..I will check the handguard and ferrule the next time I detail strip the rifle. I am finding out that the Garand is a little more complicated than the guns I usually shoot (bolt guns). However, I want to learn a lot more about these rifles and I appreciate all the help I can get from you experienced guys.
    I originally intended to go "all the way" with this rifle, but realized that it is original only once, and a whole lot of money can be spent on parts and 'smithing.
    I decided to let the old gun remain as an honored relic of our WW2 heroes and just got a really good deal from my local gun guy on a new SA M1-A. That way I can have the best of both worlds, an M1 to admire and the M1A to shoot. I may send the op rod off to the guy mentioned in the above post for checking and possible straightening so that I am satisfied that the old war horse is completely "squared away" Looking froward to being a member of this great community!
    Cheers

FREE MEMBER

Last On
    @
    Thanks guys! Took my M1 to the range today.. functioned well. This old gun shoots almost as tight as my SA M1A!
    Shot a few clips of the new Federal 30-06 that they advertise as "for the Garand"
    This is a truly AWESOME weapon!
    It was pouring a monsoon today in NC so we shot indoors at 25 yards. This thing is loud as heck indoors and produces what I would almost call a shock wave.
    Puts a group inside a quarter size spot off a sandbag rest, which is pretty good for my 57 year old eyes.
    Cleaned the weapon when we got home.. everything looked ok. Greased all the shiny places w/ Mobil 1 wheel bearing grease, ran a couple patches of Hoppes Benchrest down the bore and put her up, ready for the next trip.
    Thanks again for the advice
    cheers
    baccerman

FREE MEMBER

Last On
    @
    Sounds like you have it squared away (and like you got the rain that was here in Atlanta the day before!).

+ Reply to Thread