I bought this 5th Series Nagoya Type 99 back in March 2011 for $300. I know nothing about Arisakas except that this was the nicest example I had seen at a show in New York for some time. I figured I was in the market for a new rifle, so why not pick it up! It's the only Japaneseicon rifle I have right now, but it's a good representative piece. If only I could find a cheap Type 38 Carbine or Type 44, haha!

Anyway, the rifle is all matching and includes the dust cover and AA-sights. The 5th series was not issues with a monopod, as far as I can tell from my research. The rifle doesn't show any wear on the stock from being issued one either. In fact, the wood shows no wear at all. The metal is pitted in some areas and shows clear wear, but the stock is pristine. When I bought it I figured someone may have sanded it and coated a polyurethane finish over it. However, the inspectors cartouche on the buttstock is still very strong. I can't explain this rifle really, haha! It has the mum and no import stamp, so I figure it must be a mid-war captured rifle. The previous owner didn't have any papers, and no story was given about it except it had been in his fathers collection for sometime and the dad was finally selling off alot of his Arisakas.

One strange thing are the markings on the barrel. Some folks on other forums felt it may have been made by a pipe wrench when someone tried to remove the barrel to rechamber it. I tried putting a 30-06 round in and it wouldn't chamber, so I doubt that's the case. However I have yet to find an 7.7 ammo to test it out and be sure.

Of course, when I bought it I knew none of this, so I am pretty lucky. (I think, ha!) Anyway I feel this is a pretty nice example of a Type 99 so I wanted to share it!

Anyway, I'll let the photos talk.

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.