I have a hankerin' for a G/K43. I studied Hitler's Garands. I look at G/Ks offered by auction houses and gunbroker. Almost all of them have SOMETHING that jumps out as "that ain't right."
As a car guy, I know you can take the vehicle ID plate from a 1960 Ford F-100 that was a Coca-Cola truck, bolt the plate to another '60 F-100 (that has the same engine, tranny and wheelbase), paint it like a Coke truck and only the most sophisticated collector would know. (This was before VIN plates so it might not even be illegal.) Move the frame from the rotting Coke truck to the new truck and NO ONE would know.
I do not want to spend $3K (or $1.5K) for a G/K43 like that. No, I'm not saying the Nazis had Coca-Cola. Or did they?
Can anyone offer some tips? (Maybe, if I can't afford to blow $3K, don't buy a G/K43?)
P.S. Someone stole the vehicle ID plate from the Edsel sitting next to our rotting '60 Coke truck. That's when I grabbed the plate from the Ford. Sonsaguns stole all the brightwork from both vehicles!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.