hi , I have been reading up here for a few weeks, great info, Thanks

I have a new family hand me down! I believe it is a carcano m-38
the barrel is just over 20" and the over all length is 40"
the rifling is consistent in its rate of twist
marked 6.5 terni 1940 XXIII, unfortunatly the stock has been shortened - sporterized(i hate that word)
Attachment 40080Attachment 40081Attachment 40082Attachment 40083Attachment 40084
I took her completely apart, cleaned oiled and re assymbled
she cycles fine and I cycled a full 6 round clip in and out of the chamber
I test fired her with 4 rounds of the new Hornady 6.5 carcano ammo, it was available locally and I got it before I had done much research on the rifle.

the first and second rounds fired fine,
the third and fourth rounds fired fine as well, but after looking at the casings I noticed the primers had blown out of the casings and there was an impression of the bolt on the end of the casing as well.
the closest gunsmith is 40 miles away and he does not have a feild gage for this rifle to test headspace, he also said it may be an over pressure problem and may be the bullet diameter. have any of you had this problem before?
Attachment 40085Attachment 40086

I dug the bullet out of the dirt embankment, only found the copper case, no lead!!

If I can get her operational, I would like to put her back in orriginal form in time for deer season
Thanks
Stephen
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.