Hello,

Long time admirer, first time owner, of a Garandicon. Mine is a 7.62NATO Garand.

My Dad found it for me and I swooped in to get it while the getting was good, supposedly.

Now I am trying to verify if my suspicions are correct or not.

It is a Springfield Armory Garand, with a serial number that puts its' manufacturing in April of 1943.

It has a barrel that has marking I 'think' I understand, but I would like verification/correction of my thoughts.

The side of the barrel is marked "7.62NATO M 1 1 s a 2 51"

I am thinking it is a barrel that had an insert added, as the CMPicon calls it: a MK2 MOD O variety. I am assuming that the end of the barrel inscription refers to the receiver being rebarreled in Feb of 1951, and that the navy program for conversions added the insert to make it work with 7.62x51mm ammo.

So, how far off track am I?

Or am I spot on?

I look down the barrel and can't tell what I am looking at as far as seeing an insert goes. I see a different color of metal where the shoulder of the case sits, and the edge looks beat up in one spot. However, it is only beat in one spot, there is no obvious line of separation of anything I can see, and I can't look far enough down the barrel to see the lede area [spelling?].

I'll get some .308 ammo to verify the throat issue later.

IF I am right, and it DOES have an insert, am I also right that all I need to do to use the .308 round in this gun is have it rebarreled in a new .308/7.62x51 chambered barrel?

Thanks all.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.