Threaded View

Last On
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Local Date
    04-27-2024
    Local Time
    12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    I see what you're saying, but hte greeks could be refurbs. I've had TWO 1950 LB's, both 95L's and both with factory blue on every part. Of course, they could be aberrations. One had an RSAF Enfield front handguard and was ENGLAND stamped (re-import) and the other came slathere in cosmo from a gunshow - likely unissued. Sadly, both have been sold off a few years ago I did have pics, but lost them in a HDD crash

The 15 or so rifles in your survey are hardly representative IMHO as with that small a sample most might be refurbs - who knows?

Everything I've ever read in books (as oposed to forums) indicates the switch to park happened AFTER 1950 at CAL.
    This whole subject (date LB changed over to parkerizing from blueing) was launched after someone regurgitated a book (Stratton No4 & No5s) which contains the obvious error (LB started parkerizing in 1943-44) caused by too small a sample & the practice of unmarked Canadianicon FTRs.

I certainly never said that this survey COULD be DEFINATIVE, though it certainly CAN be REPRESENTATIVE.

Books are sometimes even corrected during their second printings (if I had a dime for everyone who has told me that they wrote a letter to "Cartridges of the World"...). The best explanation I've seen for books is that as soon as they are printed it leads to people actually looking into their basements for their "evidence" which they recall as disproving the printed "facts".

I'm sorry, but IMHO guns which you (or I) owned several years ago actually cannot be taken as evidence of anything. My memory is not perfect, and neither is yours.

My own understanding has grown so much in the last few years that what I saw & miss-understood or forgot about things I own or owned previously cannot be counted on today.

10 years ago I also thought that my 1950 LB was blued, then tefloned, then realized it was parkerized after I had something to compare it to.

For this "survey" I personally examined (within 3 days of each other, not several years ago):

CDN FTR parked LB 1942 MP
    CDN FTR parked LB 1942 MP DCRA
    CDN FTR parked LB 1943
    CDN FTR parked Savage 43/44 serial
    84L brit FTR matt blued? 1945
    90L8 blued 1945 NIB CES
    90Lx blued 1945
    91L0 blued 1949
    91L250x blued 1949
    92L0 Blued
    94L0 Parked
    94L3 parked
    94L9 parked
    95L4 parked in cosmo (from original shipping crate)
    95L8 parked
    Last edited by Lee Enfield; 12-13-2006 at 01:12 PM.