Just bought it yesterday as a sometimes shooter and probably wall gun. What have I gotten myself into here? How does it look? Parts correct? I think it's in pretty good condition.
I've tried to research it briefly but couldn't find any info on it not half cocking. Probably not using the correct search terms.
It goes to 'safe' or first click, then it goes to fire as the second click. It does not seem to want to half cock. When I cock the hammer it doesn't seem to have anything wrong with it other than it misses that half cock spot like it doesn't exist.
I believe the serial is 219693 which makes it an 1883 production. It looks like the last number has been nicked or worn somehow by the door itself or somebody dropping the hammer on it a few times with the breech open

Does the wood look refinished? It's pretty good and the stampings and cartouche still look good. Rust and pitting is almost non existent and the bore still has some shine and is not pitted. Rifling is still strong. I'll call it 85-90% overall bore condition

Is there any way I can tell if the sling is original or just an old repro?

There is a stamp at the top of the stock near the butt plate but i can't seem to identify what it says. I know the second word looks to be RIFLE
I can try to get a better picture of this, these were taken with my phone

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.